Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A blog a day for the month of November

Hi everyone, sorry I've been so behind on my blogging.  I just started a new job, along with working with several clients from my consulting practice, so things have been a little hectic in my online life. However, next month is a blog a day month on BlogHer.  Given I am a huge fan of BlogHer I've added my blog to their roll and I'm going to be posting something each day - a photo of Bizz (the most telegenic dog in the world), an idea, a story or just me blathering as usual.  All suggestions are welcome.

My story for today is about my car.  So in 2005 I needed a new car. My old one had been hit by a drunk driver and while I was only knocked about a bit the car had a dent that would cost more than the car was worth to fix.  A friend who was a "car guy" helped me to go shopping. A "car guy" is someone who knows everything there is to know about cars - reads the magazines, consumer reports, goes to car shows - in short an expert.  He insisted a drive a Hyundai Sonata. Hyundai's at the time were getting excellent reviews and better still they were a tremendous value.  I couldn't even get a car with all the features I got with my Sonata in another car.

I really like this car - though not as much as my 92 Taurus or my 76 Mustang ( a little car with a giant engine).  But two months ago I believe it went amok.  The car has always had some odd electrical quirks. The left turn signal goes really fast - and yes that is supposed to indicate a blown bulb but the bulbs have been replaced almost a dozen times.  But overall a good car.  Then in early September, as we began to get chillier evenings - the car alarm went off in the middle of the night. Since this was around the time Isabelle's car was stolen we thought someone had tried to break in. But then it happened again, and again. So I took it to the service center at the dealer and they told me they could not find a problem. Then just before my trip back east - it started going off like crazy - 4 times in one hour.  I had learned how to pull the fuse to stop it but back in the shop it went for 3 days.  At last we had discovered the cause of the problem -a faulty door sensor.  $75 later and I was on the road.  Until last week. On Thursday night the car alarm went mad at 2:30 am.  It went off 7 times in less than 30 minutes - the last time it went off with the alarm disarmed, the car unlocked, the doors open and me in the driver seat trying to get my flashlight so I could pull the fuse.  It was NOT good.  So back in the shop it went last Friday.

When I called Friday evening they told me they had watched the car all day but it didn't do it.  "Watched the car?"  WTF dudes. Given our hot sunny days that was not going to fly. They kept it all weekend and nothing. They kept it yesterday - still nothing. Finally today they called the corporate service people and were told there was nothing that could be done. I had asked for them to disconnect the alarm but that is seemingly impossible.  Seriously?  You can't disconnect the car alarm at all?  As my friend Deanna suggested - what I needed is a car thief.

So the car is home again. The fuse has been pulled - I have no choice - I think the neighbors will lynch me if it goes off again. And Bizz and I need the sleep.  All diabetics are encouraged to get plenty of sleep - it helps in blood sugar control. And the car alarm going off is not pleasant when you have an excitable little dog. The alarm went off for 30 minutes, Bizz went off for the next three hours.

So I'm in the market for a new car.  Here is my ideal car - a four door (Bizz likes having his own door), plenty of leg room, sporty with great pickup (yes I like to go fast) but with terrific fuel economy. And most of all comfortable with great back support.  All suggestions are welcome and will be test driven during this search. 

No comments:

Post a Comment