Friday, July 19, 2013

Scandinavian Feet

I had to go to the podiatrist late last week, as part of my regular health maintenance.  I had purchased the walking shoes he recommended on my previous visit since my daily walking with Bizz was wearing out my shoes quickly.  He was pleased with how everything looked and told me I had great Scandinavian feet.  Scandinavian?  I'm 3/4 Irish and 1/4 German/French -depending on which country the region belonged to when my family immigrated. He explained that Scandinavian feet meant a broad sole of the foot, high arch and narrow heel.  Nice sturdy feet made to do plenty of walking.  Which explains why I have spent my whole life struggling to find women's shoes that fit properly.  My feet just don't fit into pointy high heeled shoes, never have and I am happy to say I never will try again.

I will admit - when I was diagnosed with diabetes my feet were my primary concern.  My great grandmother (also a diabetic) had undergone an amputation due to her diabetes and my step grandmother's brother had as well.  Plenty of reasons to control my blood sugar and keep on walking.  It's also why I never take my shoes off - at home or at other people's houses - protecting my feet is my top priority - though if warned in advance I bring slippers along.

So what does this have to do with Bizz?  Nothing much.  Though he does have an incredible fondness for my shoes and will often move them about the house to keep him company when I'm gone or bring them into bed with him. 

So how are your feet doing?


No comments:

Post a Comment