Monday, July 29, 2013

Dog Friendly Restaurants: Half Moon Bay Brewing Company

Yesterday my friend Ellen and I headed out to celebrate her birthday.  The weather was nice so we headed over the mountain to Half Moon Bay to enjoy a brisk coast side walk after our lunch.  We wanted seafood and needed someplace dog friendly. Ellen remembered a previous trip, when we were Bizz free,  and we ate at Barbara's seafood (with no outdoor seating not dog friendly).  Across the street had been a restaurant that she recalled had dogs outside.  We stopped on our way at the Sunday Farmers Market a block up and went to check out the goods.  We were immediately told that Bizz was not allowed so I opened the car windows( a good 4 inches each), took off his leash (he is known to get hung up on it when he's left in the car for as much as two minutes alone) and promised him a fast return.  I cruised the market quickly and after a chat with a glass blower who is from New Jersey (Maplewood - right near my home town) and who also spent his summers on the Jersey Shore (Barnegat on Long Beach Island)we headed back to the car. There was a couple staring into my car and I thought god what have I done.  Then we started laughing. Bizz had curled up on the top of the back seat directly under the rear window and was napping. He looked like a cat.  I rescued him and after a long cat with the people who'd been watching him off we went to the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

I give this restaurant 4 out of 4 stars. First off, they have a huge outdoor patio.  It is dotted with fire pits but also heaters are liberally distributed so you could eat outdoors on a very foggy morning win complete comfort. I was very happy in my shorts and t-shirt, no jacket required.  We were given a table with space so Bizz could stretch out next to it.  We were brought glasses of water while Bizz received a nice bowl.  There were a large number of groups scattered about with their dogs by their sides.  The men us large but not overwhelming. I had the best new England clam chowder in a bread bowl that I've had in years.  Ellen loved her fish tacos.  Bizz enjoyed a few bits of bread. I had decided not to buy him his own burger patty since I had snacks for him with me. 

I especially loved watching single people eating out with their dogs. It's nice to know I'm not the only person who talks to their dog like a person. One woman won my heart as she finished eating and said to her dog - that was lovely.  Are you ready to go?  Me too."  And off they went to continue their day.

The service was speedy (which is good since dogs do not have an unlimited patience with restaurants and Bizz does like to run up to other dogs), the food great and the atmosphere just lovely for a relaxing Sunday morning.  After that we went to the State Beach and did a long walk.  The only downfall was Bizz spotting an enormous group of horses and suddenly lunging.  I had him on a firm leash but he landed in what seemed like ashes and went from being my glorious little white dog to a black and white dog.  It was not a good look.  After dropping Ellen at home I brought Bizz back for a bath so he is once again my lovely little white dog.

So, highly recommend HMB Brewing Company the next time you and your canine companion are in HMB.  Also, the prices were very reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment