Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

I've been away from the blog for the last week between my college reunion and having come down with a really bad cold.  So I've not been inspired though I have a list of blog topics so expect more daily blogs this week.

Today is Memorial Day in the USA, a day where we remember and honor the members of our armed forces.  I find myself thinking very often of my father who was a Navy man in World War II.  He signed up as soon as he could out of high school and served throughout the war in the Pacific.  He did his training in Key West Florida in 1943.

 
I don't remember a lot of details of his war stories - most were rather rowdy.  I do look at the world today and wonder what he would have thought.  He fought in the war to end all wars, defending our country from invasion by great evil.  What would he have thought of the wars we are fighting today? 
I just keep hoping that maybe by next Memorial Day we'll have brought all the brave men and women fighting for this country home.

No comments:

Post a Comment